Remodeling a quaint little farmhouse in Oregon, and getting loads of splinters along the way.
Monday, March 26, 2007
In Between Fires
On Sunday, I sanded and cleaned the trim pieces, then I applied the glaze - LOTS of glaze (about 4 coats). Today (Monday), I'll bring them back to Georgies to get glaze fired.
Friday, March 23, 2007
Vacuum For Sale
Here's Scully, enjoy the last few moments of the carpet.
Thursday, March 22, 2007
Carpet Tearout in Office
Here is a before picture. I should have vaccuumed but what's the point?
And the after picture. In the background are some hideous wide boards that will need to be removed and replaced with new fir floors. The reason they're different is because that part of the house was added on later from the original house.
Below the carpet and padding was this colorful linoleum. Kinda cool, but isn't staying.
Here's a more detailed picture of the "newer" part of the house, with the wide boards that will need to be replaced.
Wednesday, March 21, 2007
Tuesday, March 20, 2007
Tin Ceiling Ordered
I've been told that I should see the panels by the end of next week, so we'll see.
Thursday, March 15, 2007
Plying the Ceiling With Wood
Here's some before and after shots:
Monday, March 12, 2007
Hiya Spring, Nice To See Ya Again
This shot is of the daffodils in the front of the house. I'm digging the slightly out of focus house siding in the background.
Interestingly, I'm not sure Scully is liking the warmer weather. At the park, where she fetches the racquetball after I bash it into space with my stick, she tends to get too hot too quick. But that's kind of why I built the waterfall.
Here's a shot of the first clematis bloom of the year.
I think there'll be plenty more from the looks of those buds.
Saturday, March 10, 2007
So Far, So Good
The darker gray trim on the right was formed just last night and is darker because it still contains moisture. The lighter gray on the left was more several days ago and is pretty well thoroughly dry.
For the cap of the trim, I decided to reuse the already formed clay since that didn't warp as bad. I'll make a decision whether it will be useful after I do the bisque fire.
Saturday, March 03, 2007
This picture just shows a small portion of the several feet of trim I tooled out but after checking it all out tonight, I realized that most, if not all of the clay work I've done is unusable.
There are few reasons for this warping. The biggest cause is that when I was done forming, to move the clay out of the jig, I had to lift on each end of the 20" section. Since it was still wet, it obviously bends. Though it's laid out flat to dry, apparently the clay has good "memory" and tries to go back to that shape it took when it was removed from the jig.
I also think a small part of it has to do with using recycled clay. From the many dry scraps of clay in making the oak tree mural, I added some to a tub along with water and a lot of mixing. The problem was that I don't think the moisture was evenly distributed, leaving drier clumps in the wet clay. This may be why the trim appears bumpy.
Regardless, I have to start all over. I have a new plan in place and tomorrow it's off to buy fresh clay.