Friday, January 12, 2007

Slate Tile at the Bay Window

I finally have accomplished a task in the dining room remodel that is worth posting - the installation of the slate tile at the bay window. It went fairly well and the only hitch was some flexing sub-floorboards that were cantilevered due to the partial removal of a joist for the return air opening. I was able to reinforce it by tying in each sub-floorboard to the supported sub-floor board running perpendicular with 2x4's. I lost you, didn't I?

Anyway, the subfloor is now solid to avoid any mortar or grout cracking. Or at least, I hope it is! I actually used a special mortar that applies to wood bases and will supposedly allow for some flexing.

Here's a little pictoral tour of this latest endeavor...


With old floor:



Existing subfloor:



With new 1/4" plywood covering subfloor:




Applying thin set mortar (special to wood subfloor) and installing tiles:



Applying grout:



The finshed product:


No comments: