Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Good Customer Service Wins

Of the 5 door and window distributors that I called, 3 of them called me back. 2 of those 3 were fairly close to where I live but unfortunately, their customer service was poor. They either didn't return specific questions regarding the doors, or just took too long in calling back. So, I finally got the door and windows ordered through Parr Lumber up on Killingsworth and MLK. They'll even deliver to the house, so the whole locality thing didn't even come into play.

As for the current project I'm working on, the linoleum removal, it hasn't been as boring as I thought. I have 2 hours into it so far, and would expect a good 12 hours left. The process is to first try with a wonder bar that is great with removing the somewhat loose tiles. If that doesn't work, I throw a wet towel over the tile, and heat it up with an iron. Then use a putty knife to scrape the top of the tile off. Later, I'll have to go back over those sticky tiles with adhesive remover.

I expect my arms to be massively huge when it's all said and done.

Here's where I'm at as of 9pm Monday the 3rd:

2 comments:

donutboy said...

Oh how I feel your flooring pain. I would bet that you are in a pretty similar situation. We tried all sorts of removers but they just didn't work. Heat made it way to gummy to do anything with. If anything did help it was "Krud Kutter " bought at the HD.

Here is a link to our adventure in flooring. We had to do it all by using the back end of a small wonder bar / crowbar. It took a long time and we did burn off some beer calories. http://oldstonehouse.blogspot.com/2006_04_01_oldstonehouse_archive.html

best of luck

Joe said...

I just went to your website and it looks like you have (had) the EXACT same linoleum pattern that I do. I'll have to check that out some more when I have more time. Like at the office.

Regarding the beer calorie removal comment, I think the only way to get through this linoleum removal project is to drink beer while doing it. So, I expect to come out even.

Thanks for the comment.