This task actually started last summer but more fun things to do in the sun distracted me and I abandoned all form building practices.
|The original steps. You can't see in this blurry picture but they're in bad shape with a major crack. Sledge hammer lying in wait.
|Fortunately, these were built poorly so demolition didn't take long.
|It was a pile of rubble in minutes.
|I laid out the new step shape with rope.
|I pre-cut the stone pieces and shaped them on a 4x8 plywood. The steps acutally ended up being slightly different but this still helped.
|After realizing I couldn't pound wood stakes in the ground, I discovered metal stakes with holes to attach the wood to.
|Getting there with bendable but weak plywood.
|After finding 1/4" plywood that would bend but not break, my forms were completed.
|I added 3/4" minus gravel up to 4" below the top of the forms and a few inches at the face of the step.
|My orange buddy for the concrete mixing process which saved hours of manual concrete mixing.
|Adding rebar to the top step.
|I used 20 bags and was only about 1/4" shy of the top of the forms.
|Done with the concrete pour
|And from the other side.
|After a couple of days, the forms are pulled off.
|In mid stone install, using white polymer thin set. The challenge was the different thickness of travertine patio stone which ranged from 3/4" to 1 1/4"
|Complete with the stone setting.
|After a day, I add the grout. I completed this at 9pm in the dark, literally feeling my way around to make sure the grout was set in place. This made for some surprises the next morning!