Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Table Top

On Saturday I met with Dennis at Brave New Wood to discuss the 'new' dining room table design and to take a look at the top for the table which was completed recently. I am having a dining room table custom made out of reclaimed timber, which is old growth douglas fir probably from some old building in Portland. My intent is to get a thick sturdy table that has a 100 year old feel, but without having to find exactly what I'm looking for in an antique store.

I really like what I see so far. There is plenty of character with the knot holes and bolt holes, etc. It will be 'roughed' up slightly, as well as oiled so it will lose that slightly butcher block look.




The next step is to design the feet for this massive top, which is really heavy. I worked with Dennis on ideas to "engineer" a base, as it will definately need it. He's a great guy to work with and I highly recommend him.





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like a great table. Just my size.

When you're done with that one, do you think you might make one for me?

Joe said...

Oh Paul, anything for you.

Anna said...

That's going to be a beautiful table, Joe!
I've been looking for a monastery-table for quite some time - but maybe I should rethink and try to do it the way you do. Thanks for the inspiration!

Chris said...

That's a beautiful piece of wood you got there, and love the width. Vulgar question I spose, but how much would something that size cost?

Joe said...

Anna-
It's great to think my blog inspired someone.

Chris-
No problem - it will cost about $1100, maybe a little more with the special feet I'm having made.