Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Apple-Gruyere Open Faced Sandwich


This is a slightly different twist to a "house blog", but I just had to share. This last weekend I had no idea what I wanted for lunch. Nothing really sounded good and I wasn't starved but needed something. Then I had this idea of using up some fridge contents and for whatever reason, the thought of apple and cheese sounded really good. I came up with this little diddy - the apple-gruyere open faced sandwich.
I thinly sliced a red apple and placed it on slightly toasted Como bread (italian chewy crunchy sandwich type bread), covered it with sliced gruyere cheese and broiled it in a toaster oven until the cheese was melted. A dollop of chutney was then placed on top (I'd probably lighten up on the chutney next time). But it was... So. Good.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Living In Zen said...

Hey, that looks REALLY tasty! I might have to try that once my kitchen renovation is done! :)

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger LisaBe said...

yeah--the sandwich shop on the first floor of our building makes a grilled wrap on a honey-wheat tortilla with brie, green apples, spinach, red onions, and honey mustard. so, so good that i just moan and groan in my office in a very unbecoming way as i eat it at my desk. i'm sure my hallmates wonder what i could possibly be working on that's so interesting! gotta love apples and cheese!

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Great idea, made even better by the fact that I clicked through to this right around lunch time. Apple + gruyere was interesting, but the addition of the chutney made it great.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger dakaainoa said...

apples and cheese do not belong on the same plate. and probably not chutney either, whatever that is. i'm suddenly not so hungry.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Dave-
Maybe if I put spam on it, and served it with a glass of Hamm's beer, then you'd eat it?

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger dakaainoa said...

yea, add the spam, take off the apples and the brown accident you're calling "chutney" and were in business.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Ha! Yeah, that does impart an awful visual. Thanks Dave. I knew I could rely on your Milwaukee cultural wisdom.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home