Saturday, December 16, 2006

Oak Tree Tile Trim, Part Two

This is part two of my exploration of making trim for my oak tree mural. I apologize on part one for the huge spaces between the pictures. There are some wierd issues with blogger (or I don't know what I'm doing) but there's only so much time in the day. I can't be using it to mess around with blogger.

After making the tool that will form the trim's profile, I made a jig that will hold the clay in place, as well as form the back corner:

And a picture of the forming tool IN the jig (this should clear up any fog):


The first trial run:



After running the tool over the clay several times, adding water, adding more clay, etc, this is what it looks like:





After letting it dry out a few days, it is firm enough to handle but still slightly wet that modifications can still be easily made. This is same piece on my counter. This practice piece is fairly rough and the final pieces should turn out much smoother as I will put more time into it.


But it works!












6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you using clay so the color will be the same or to better resist the heat of you woodburning stove?

Anonymous said...

I love working in clay. It's so pliable and you can smush it with just about anything.

Anonymous said...

Oh, NOOOooooooo!

Anonymous said...

wow! one small step for man....

Anonymous said...

This is a really cool step by step. I can't wait to see more.

I'm soooo stealing this, by the way.

Joe said...

Mr. Bill/Sluggo- I'm not really sure how to respond other than - looking forward to getting some pints at McGuirks next weekend with you!

Purejuice- I really do feel like I'm entering uncharted territory. At least for me. But so far, so good. Thanks for the continued visits.

Bruce- I'm so glad you appreciate the step-by-step. My thoughts were that people visiting the tile trim creation posts were going to be bored out of their mind.
And, you should steal this! That was another reason for doing the step-by-steps. If you check out tile specialty places, the prices are incredibly high.
You've inspired me to post part three.